Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Zack McDermott

Zack McDermott has worked as a public defender for The Legal Aid Society of New York. His work has appeared on This American Life, Morning Edition, Gawker, and Deadspin, among others.

McDermott's new book is Gorilla and the Bird: A Memoir of Madness and a Mother's Love.

Recently I asked the author about what he was reading. McDermott's reply:
For the third time, Kent Russell’s I’m Sorry to Think I Have Raised a Timid Son. Kent is definitely in my top three favorite living writers. When I read him, I think, “I am sure I’ll never be that good.” The New York Times said he “has more than a little in common with the late David Foster Wallace.” Who can live up to that? Kent. His essays are weird, hilarious, kind of dark, with plenty of soul. The man has a fascinating brain – I’ve given his book to so many people as a gift.
Visit Zack McDermott's website.

The Page 99 Test: Gorilla and the Bird.

My Book, The Movie: Gorilla and the Bird.

--Marshal Zeringue