Thursday, October 5, 2017

Lydia Kang

Lydia Kang is an author of young adult fiction, poetry, and narrative non-fiction. She graduated from Columbia University and New York University School of Medicine, completing her residency and chief residency at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. She is a practicing physician who has gained a reputation for helping fellow writers achieve medical accuracy in fiction.

Kang's novels include Control, Catalyst, and the newly released A Beautiful Poison.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Kang's reply:
I usually have a few things going at the same time. I used to be a serial reader and wouldn’t pick up a book until the last one was done, but due to a cramped schedule that’s out the window. I find that I DNF more often, and I’m usually reading for research as well as for pleasure, depending on the time of the day.

Right now for research, I’m reading Diary of a Little Girl in Old New York, by Catherine Elizabeth Havens, a ten year old girl who wrote between 1849-1850 in New York City. My current WIP in set there, and nothing beats a day-to-day account to understand the language, location, and cultural mores were.

For fun, I’m reading Celeste Ng’s Everything I Never Told You. I read both YA, adult nonfiction, and fiction, and this is one I’ve had a long while but haven’t cracked. I’ve only just started it, but the opening line is “Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet.” I’m hooked! It’s won a lot of praise, which makes me both nervous and excited—will it be as good as I hope it will be? I’m about 20% in, and so far, it’s amazing.
Visit Lydia Kang's website, blog, Facebook page and Twitter perch.

The Page 69 Test: Control.

The Page 69 Test: Catalyst.

The Page 69 Test: A Beautiful Poison.

--Marshal Zeringue