Friday, June 30, 2017

Carlie Sorosiak

Carlie Sorosiak grew up in North Carolina and holds two master’s degrees: one in English from Oxford University and another in creative writing and publishing from City University London. Her life goals include traveling to all seven continents and fostering many polydactyl cats. She currently splits her time between the United States and the United Kingdom, hoping to gain an accent like Madonna’s.

Sorosiak's new novel is If Birds Fly Back.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading. Her reply:
The Book Thief

I've had The Book Thief sitting on my shelf for seven years. For some reason, I wanted to wait until the "right" time to read it ... without knowing exactly what the right time was. Apparently it's this summer. The narration is so sumptuous. I can't put it down.

The Unlikely Story of a Pig in the City

Jodi Kendall and I share an editor at HarperCollins in the US, and I couldn't wait to read her middle grade debut. As a kid, I was obsessed with the movie Babe. Critics are calling Jodi's book the new Charlotte's Web, and I definitely understand the comparison.

The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories

My mom picked this up for me for Christmas. I've never quite read anything like it. Sharp, emotional, perceptive. And it's short stories, so very easy to dip in and out.
Visit Carlie Sorosiak's website.

--Marshal Zeringue