Thursday, May 25, 2017

C. A. Higgins

C. A. Higgins is the author of Lightless, Supernova, and the newly released Radiate. She was a runner-up in the 2013 Dell Magazines Award for Undergraduate Excellence in Science Fiction and Fantasy Writing and has a B.A. in physics from Cornell University.

Recently I asked Higgins about what she was reading. Her reply:
My bookshelf is small and so full of books stacked in like Tetris blocks that at this point it is the books holding the shelf up, and not vice versa. The books that I have recently read, am currently reading, or intend to read shortly exist in a teetering pile alongside my bed.

The most recent read in the pile is Assassin’s Fate by Robin Hobb. The last of her novels about FitzChivalry Farseer, it lived up to all my love for and investment in the characters in the series. Another fantasy novel is Kushiel’s Scion by Jacqueline Carey; I enjoyed her first trilogy set in Terre d’Ange and am looking forward to starting the second. The series is an engrossing mixture of fantasy, fantasy religion, eroticism, and political scheming.

In nonfiction, I have Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln’s Mother And Other Botanical Atrocities by Amy Stewart. It’s about the various ways plants can hurt you, which is useful both for novel research and for feeding my growing paranoia.

In science fiction, I have Neal Stephenson’s The Diamond Age; after reading Seveneves, I’m looking forward to experiencing more of his work.
Visit C. A. Higgins's website.

The Page 69 Test: Lightless.

--Marshal Zeringue