Sunday, January 26, 2014

Jenny Hubbard

Jenny Hubbard is a poet and playwright. Pat Conroy called Paper Covers Rock, her debut novel, “one of the best young-adult books [he's] read in years.”

Her new novel is And We Stay.

Recently I asked Hubbard about what she was reading. Her reply:
A Long Way from Verona, by Jane Gardam.

A quirky, fresh coming-of-age story for adults, especially those who always knew they would grow up to be writers. It was first published in England in 1971 and reissued recently by Europa Editions, which has introduced me to a goldmine of foreign authors.

Abel’s Island, by William Steig.

For the past year or so, I’ve been re-reading books I loved as a child. William Steig indubitably stands the test of time. His use of language charms me still, as do his illustrations. His books prove that we need more grown-up novels with pictures.

Longbourn, by Jo Baker.

I’m a Jane Austen freak, and this novel, told from the point of view of servants in the Bennet home, delicately manages to channel Pride and Prejudice while telling a story all its own.
Visit Jenny Hubbard's website.

My Book, The Movie: Paper Covers Rock.

Read--Coffee with a Canine: Jenny Hubbard and Oliver.

My Book, The Movie: And We Stay.

--Marshal Zeringue