Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sean Ferrell

Sean Ferrell's novels include Numb (2010) and the newly released Man in the Empty Suit.

Last month I asked the author about what he was reading. Ferrell's reply:
I currently have a "to read" pile that is slightly taller than my son. He's seven (years old, not feet tall). On my reading horizon I have Zombie by J.R. Angelella, Jessica Francis Kane's new collection This Close, and J. Robert Lennon's Familiar.

Right now I'm wading through Moby Dick, by Herman... somebody. I have never read it. Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame. When I spotted a copy at a bookstore (I know, what were the chances of that?!) I felt like it was a hole in my literary landscape that needed filling. I fell in love with it almost immediately. You can hear Mr. Melville sweating in every line. The language, the use of footnotes, the non-fictional elements, the self-analysis, the meta-fictional discussion of what storytelling is or how the events can be deciphered explode the idea of what makes a novel--contemporary or otherwise. It's a remarkable book, not always an easy read, but so worth it.
Visit Sean Ferrell's website.

The Page 69 Test: Man in the Empty Suit.

My Book, The Movie: Man in the Empty Suit.

--Marshal Zeringue