Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cara Black

Cara Black is the author of the best-selling Aimée Leduc series. Her new novel, Murder below Montparnasse, is the 13th book in the series.

Recently I asked the author about what she was reading.  Black's reply:
I'm reading a galley of Phillip Kerr's upcoming A Man Without Breath. This is the latest in Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels - Bernie is a wise cracking former Berlin cop whose fortunes or lack of take him to Smolensk after the battle of Stalingrad in 1943 on a mission for Goebbels. Call me a fan: I've read all the Bernie Gunther novels and ordered this one via my local indie bookstore. But when the Galley Diva at my local offered me a chance to read this I panted yes, grabbed it and almost ran out of the store to read in my car. OK, I waited until I got home. So far it's amazing and Kerr pulls off this grey time in history with realism, pathos and understanding. This story makes me love Bernie Gunther even more. If, that is, it's possible to love a conflicted, complicated and smart mouthed fictional Berliner in 1943. Highly recommended.
Visit Cara Black's website.

The Page 69 Test: Murder at the Lanterne Rouge.

My Book, the Movie: Murder at the Lanterne Rouge.

The Page 69 Test: Murder below Montparnasse.

--Marshal Zeringue