Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mignon F. Ballard

Mignon F. Ballard grew up in a small town in Georgia, and now lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

Her new novel is Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause.

Ballard's reply to my recent query about what she was reading:
Although I’m not currently reading this author, I do come back to him from time to time – especially when my spirits need a boost. I’m speaking of everybody’s favorite Yorkshire veterinarian, James Herriot. While adept at making fun of himself in just about any situation, he could also touch your heart. Unfortunately, he died several years ago so we fans have to be content to read his books over and over.

I’ll admit it – I’m an Anglophile, and Herriot’s tales place me right smack in the middle of the Yorkshire countryside with all those wonderful plainspoken characters. The relationship he shares with his eccentric co-workers never fails to involve some kind of complicated and comical dilemma that makes me forget my own problems because I’m laughing so hard at his. And I doubt if I’ll ever need to put this experience to use, but after reading Herriot, I do believe I might even be able to at least assist in delivering a calf!

Several years ago my husband and I had the good fortune of meeting the author during a trip to England. With a long line of others we were received and welcomed to his surgery where we had an opportunity to visit, and he was every bit as genial as I had thought he’d be with his warm smile and impish sparkling blue eyes. Before leaving the village of Thirsk, I donated a copy of one of my books to the local library and much to my surprise and delight, received a “thank you” note from James Herriot himself on our return home. I will treasure it always.

One day if I find myself faced with a serious illness, I plan to read again the works of James Herriot, and if they don’t cure me, at least I’ll die laughing!
Visit Mignon Ballard's website.

My Book, The Movie: Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause.

The Page 69 Test: Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause.

--Marshal Zeringue