Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gary Corby

Gary Corby is a novelist and former systems programmer at Microsoft. He lives in Australia with his wife and two daughters.

He is the author of The Pericles Commission and the newly released The Ionia Sanction.

Recently I asked Corby what he was reading. His reply:
I re-read books that I love, quite often. Also I tend to have several books going at once. Here's what's currently on the boil:

The Hunt for Red October. Tom Clancy's premier work is one of the best military techno-thrillers ever. (His other top effort is Red Storm Rising.) I really enjoy this genre. It's extremely hard to do well, and all too easy to do badly.

Athenian Homicide Law by Douglas M. MacDowell. This is the book on how ancient Athenians managed trials for murder. All right, it's probably not destined to be a NY Times bestseller, but I like it. I count it under book research, but seriously, anyone who loved ancient history could read this for fun.

The Gentlemen's Hour by Don Winslow. He's the author of The Winter of Frankie Machine, which I liked so much I determined to read everything he's done. If crime among the surfies of San Diego is your thing, then Winslow's your man.

A Game of Lies by Rebecca Cantrell. Third in the series of adventures of Hannah Vogel, as she fights the Nazi machine. The first two are A Trace of Smoke and A Night of Long Knives. Rebecca's an expert on the Nazi era, and it shows in her meticulous research and her writing that is, amazingly, reminiscent of the style of the times.
Visit Gary Corby's blog.

My Book, The Movie: The Ionia Sanction.

--Marshal Zeringue