Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Susan Wiggs

Susan Wiggs' first book was published by Zebra in 1987, and since then she has been published by Avon, Tor, HarperCollins, Harlequin, Warner and Mira Books. Unable to completely abandon her beloved teaching profession, Wiggs is a frequent workshop leader and speaker at writers' conferences, including the literary institution Fields End and the legendary Maui Writers Conference. Her novel The Charm School was voted one of RWA's Favorite Books of the Year. She is the proud recipient of three RITA awards for Lakeside Cottage, Lord of the Night and The Mistress, and is often a finalist for the prestigious award.

Her 2010 releases include The Summer Hideaway (#7 in the Lakeshore Chronicles Series).

Not so long ago I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
I always have a book within reach, and my tastes are eclectic. A couple of memorable recent reads for me: A Castle in the Backyard: The Dream of a House in France by Betsy Draine, about her summer home in southwestern France. I'm heading to Bordeaux and St. Cirq Lapopie later this month, so this incredibly charming memoir fed my excitement. It's perfect for armchair travelers, too, and for fans of books like Under the Tuscan Sun and the Peter Mayle books.

The Passage by Justin Cronin is a vampire book for grown-ups. He writes beautifully, and although I'm not a huge fan of apocalyptic or futuristic fiction, this one definitely drew me in. I'm definitely a sucker for the innocent-child-saving-the-world plots, and this is what the book is, at its heart.

One of my favorite thriller authors is Tess Gerritsen, and her latest, Ice Cold, is a fabulous addition to the Rizzoli and Isles series. They're going to be in a series on TNT, so I'm primed to tune in.

Bodily Harm by Robert Dugoni is another thriller I loved. Nobody writes courtroom drama better. There's a wrongful death suit and an ending I didn't see coming.
Visit Susan Wiggs' website and blog.

--Marshal Zeringue