Saturday, August 29, 2009

Jen Calonita

Jen Calonita is author of the teen series Secrets of My Hollywood Life and the new novel Sleepaway Girls.

Earlier this week I asked her what she was reading. Her reply:
Since I finished Broadway Lights (aka Secrets 5, which is due in March 2010), I've been catching up on some of my summer reading. Here are a few of my favorite things I've read this summer:

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella --- I love everything and anything by Ms. Kinsella and her latest did not disappoint. It's a friendship story wrapped around a mystery and it's hilarious. It's about two "twenties girl" -- Lara, who is in her twenties, and Sadie, who appears as a twentysomething ghost (she's actually Lara's great Aunt Sadie who just passed) and the two form an unlikely bond as they search for Sadie's missing dragonfly necklace, which Sadie just can't rest without.

The Daughters by Joanna Philbin -- What? You've never heard of this one. I know. That's because it's not out till next year, but I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at this sweet, charming teen series and I just know you're going to love it too. The series is all about what it would be like to be the daughter of a famous celebrity and the first book is about a famous model's daughter, and what it's like to walk in her shadow. It was great!

The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel by Holly McQueen -- I tend to go for chicklit novels that will make me laugh out loud. I can't help it -- if it's light, funny and sweet, it's my type of book and this one by first-time author McQueen doesn't disappoint. It's about quirky girl named Isabel who dreams of being a successful author. Only problem? She hasn't written a single word yet. First she wants to perfect her author "look." Hilarious!

The Queen of Babble Gets Hitched by Meg Cabot -- I'm such a fan of Meg Cabot's teen books that I figured it was time I picked up some of her more adult fare. Lizzie Nichols, a wedding gown restorer, is a great character and this latest book in the series is about her big dilemma -- does she dump dreamy and rich but sort of cardboard fiance Luke and go for his best pal Chaz, who wants to be a teacher? Meg Cabot is the queen of being smart, witty and writing great dialogue and I thought this was so fun. I can't wait to go backwards and read the first two books.
Visit Jen Calonita's website.

--Marshal Zeringue